Information and advice about how to officially change your legal name by Deed Poll
Links to site contents...

About Deed Polls
What is a Deed Poll?
Why is it called a Deed Poll?
What is the purpose of a Deed Poll?
Who can apply for a Deed Poll?
How long does the process take?
Can I change my child's name?
Can a birth certificate be changed?
Are there any restrictions on names?
Is a Deed Poll registered anywhere?
Why do people change their name?
Answers to other FAQs

Applying for a Deed Poll
How to apply
Services available and fees
Video guides

Services for previous clients
Apply for a copy of your archived Deed Poll
Apply for a replacement Deed Poll

General name change information
A woman's rights upon marriage
A man's rights upon marriage
A couple's rights upon a civil partnership
A woman's rights upon separation
A woman's rights upon divorce
A woman's rights upon being widowed
A child's rights upon adoption
Adding a middle name
Advice for transsexuals
An alternative to marriage
A unique gift
Changing your name on your passport
Obtaining a copy of your lost Deed Poll
Who to advise after changing your name

UK Deed Poll Service
Contact us
What our clients say about us
In the media
Privacy policy
Terms and conditions and your rights
Home page


If you wish to change your or your child's legal name, you can join the many thousands of people who have used the Deed Poll process over the past 150 years.  Using our service, you can legally and officially change any part or all of your name.  You can change your forenames, surname (or both), add names, remove names, change the spelling of your names or rearrange your existing names.

As you would expect, we are the UK's main and most trusted issuer of Deed Poll documentation, issuing over 50 thousand Deed Polls annually.  What's more, we're committed to providing a first class service; but don't just take our word for it.  To read a selection of our many testimonials click here and to see articles about us in the national press and television click here.

We have made our service as quick and simple as possible and there are four ways you can apply.  You can apply by post, by phone or online, in which case your Deed Poll documentation will be delivered to your door using your chosen delivery service.  You can also apply in person at our offices in Freebournes Court, Witham, Essex and use our Premium service, where we will issue your Deed Poll documentation within the hour.

Click to watch our video guide to changing your name by Deed Poll presented by Michael Buerk
Our Deed Poll documents are accepted by all UK government departments, companies and organisations enabling you to get all your official documents and records changed to your new name including your British passport, driving licence, bank account, credit card, medical, tax and National Insurance records etc.*

Please click on the links on the left side of this page to read our informative articles about changing your name.  If after reading our articles you have any unanswered questions, please email us.

* A Deed Poll will not get your birth, marriage or decree absolute certificate changed.  It is also not possible to get permanent records changed such as past examination certificates.  There are some circumstances that enable you to get a birth certificate amended or reissued thereby avoiding the need for a Deed Poll.  Please read Can a birth certificate be changed? for further information.

How to apply

Articles about Deed Polls

Whilst every care has been taken in the compilation of the information provided on this website, UK Deed Poll Service will not be held liable or responsible for any loss, damage or other inconvenience caused as a result of any inaccuracy or error within the pages of this website.

Copyright © UK Deed Poll Service, All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction of any part of this website's content is illegal without our permission.